The Raspberry Pi is a $35* computer that has opened the eyes of tinkerers, hackers and electronics enthusiasts everywhere.
With 2 USB ports, 700MHz CPU, 256Mb Ram, Analogue or HDMI Audio and Composite or HDMI Video and a Network Connection, it really is a sub-$100 computer!
It’s versatility means it has found applications in the lounge, in the car, and out in the field.
As a media player it rivals the Apple TV.
- Flawless 1080p playback of your movies.
- Hardware decoding for all the major video & audio formats
- 5.1 Surround sound with DTS or Dolby Digital using HDMI pass-through
- Apple AirPlay support (play straight from your iPhone/iPad to the TV)
- Stream content straight from the Internet.
As a home network server it could save you thousands.
When all you need to do is buy a starter kit for $109.95, then add USB drives – it is the cheapest network server you will find.
Furthermore, using only 5 watts of electricity, it’ll save you $1 per day compared with a PC-based server!
In the Car
- With a USB OBD2 adapter, enjoy a full diagnostic computer.
- With a USB DVB-T adapter, be the first to have digital radio in the car.
- With a USB 3G Dongle, have Internet in the car.
- With a 32GB SDHC card and XBMC – play your own movies and mp3s.
In the Field
- Add a relay and turn on and off anything from IP.
- Add a USB webcam and monitor from afar.
- Add environmental sensors and build your own EMS
And many other uses:
- Webcam server
- Vehicle tracking
- Streaming internet radio box
- Vehicle Diagnostics, OBDII logger
- Baby monitor
- Media server / NAS
- Media receiver
- Video chat
- Game emulator, running MAME (build your own arcade cabinet)
- Mini web server
- FTP server
- Proxy server
- Portable Media PC
- Run an alarm system
- Security webcam (with motion sensor)
- Control garden lighting
- Control sprinkler system
- HTPC for TV web browsing
- HTPC for streaming Netfilx / Hulu etc
- In car Computer
- Thin client computer
- Game server
- IRC / chat server
- build a cheap laptop
- create a digital photo frame
- Asterisk VOIP server
- Home automation system
- MP3 player
- Portable personal computer, you can use it anywhere you can find a monitor.
- multitouch screen coffee table
- Wall hanging screen with voice control for network pictures, weather, news and RSS feeds
- Cyber Cafe computer
- Video conferencing system
- Personal weather station / logger
- Control a light display
- Control an LED board
- Put it in an old mac classic or mac plus case as a general purpose computer
- Intelligent photo frame with touch
- A dedicated Synth, possibly with touch screen
- Home Security Server
- Solar powered desktop computer
- CNC controller
- High tech birthday / Xmas presents
- Backup server
- Wardriving setup
- RSS ticker
- High tech alarm clock
- Mini projector
- DOSBox for games
- Cafe media player
- Brains for Arduino setup
- Mumble server
- Industrial manufacturing controller
- TOR server
- Wearable computer
- Family notice board
- CD / DVD ripping device
- Car black box with video
- Wall mounted, interactive mood lamp
- Robotic telescope / camera controller
- Display photographer portfolio images
- SMS gateway
* Note: The Raspberry Pi is known worldwide as a “$35 computer”, however, this price does not include GST, import duties or shipping costs. We do not sell the Raspberry Pi for $35 on this site.